I was nominated for this award by Jamie @ The Last Page. Go check out her page as she’s got some great book talks going on right now including reviews for Heart of Mist, The Sleeper and the Spindle, and a post all about bookmarks.
Many thanks for the nomination! Liebster Award is all about featuring new blogs and I’m so excited to be given this award. So, going to try to answer all the questions as best as possible and then share a few of my own questions and noms at the end of it.
1) Thank the blogger who gave it to you
2) Answer the eleven questions they ask you
3) Nominate eleven bloggers with less than 500 followers
4) Ask those eleven bloggers eleven questions
5) Let those bloggers know that they have been nominated
1) If you could pick one book or series for everyone in the book blogging community to read what would it be?
That’s a tough one, as everyone has their own fave genre and different taste in books. Even so, I have to pick one so… Let’s go with The Strain by Chuck Hogan & Guillermo del Toro. I mean, it’s almost October and that would definitely start off the month on the right foot. Since I just recently purchased this book, I’ll also be starting it pretty soon so we can all get spooked together lol.
2) What is one book genre that you just can’t stand and why?
Okay, it’s not necessarily a genre I can’t stand, well not completely, but it is my least favorite of them all and that would be Romance. I’ve tried out a few and have liked maybe one or two out of them. There are only so many I can tolerate or would take a chance with, most of them I just can’t find much of an interest in.
3) If you could be a character in a book, what author would you want to write it?
Ooooh, another tough one. Hmm, I’d have to say Stephanie Garber at the moment because I’m obsessed with Caraval. Since I’m imagining being a character, I’d love to be written into book two and of course with a few provisions, well mostly one… Not dying or being severely injured lol, everything else I’m game.
4) When you were in school did you typically enjoy the books you were assigned to read?
I wasn’t a big fan of the books we read during school. It wasn’t that they weren’t good, because they were, they just weren’t genres that I would sit and read on my own outside of class. There were a few exceptions to that, including The Giver (which I loved) and Charlotte’s Web (because that was my first introduction to books). Many of the other books I can’t recall or didn’t become favorites.
5) What was one book that impacted your life in a big way and why?
That’s two books and a series actually, by Roald Dahl and J.K. Rowling. When I first read Matilda, I felt like part of her story was mine. It wasn’t always an easy upbringing for me and finding a world like hers, where magic existed and worlds could be seen and lived within by just reading it, was euphoric. It gave me a reason to keep dreaming and believing in more. Then, I read James and the Giant Peach and it confirmed my immense love for books and I knew that it was only the beginning. Later in life, what rekindled my love for books after a short time of not really reading, was the world within the pages of Harry Potter. It brought back so many of those first feels, but with more meaning as I was grown and could really appreciate all of them even more.
6) How do you feel about audiobooks, do you consider it the same as reading? Why or why not?
I’m not one to use audiobooks often, unless I know the book I’m reading does better with one like Illuminae and Gemina, but either than that they aren’t part of my book collection. I’ve just found that they don’t really work for me, I’d rather read the book as I’m able to imagine the world more clearly and go at my own pace.
7) Do you set reading goals for yourself every year? If you do, what is your goal for this year?
This is my first year setting a reading goal. I’ve always read, even when I wasn’t really reading I’d still have my mind on books, but I hadn’t set any goals pertaining to reading. When I knew I wanted to start a book blog, it gave me the desire to set one for myself, see if I could achieve it and discover more worlds and genres that I never really looked into. So, yeah, it was a pretty high goal to start off with… 100 books by the end of this year and I’m proud to say I’ve finished 119 of them. What? I know, I’m surprised myself lol.
8) What is it that you enjoy most about blogging?
I enjoy everything about it! It’s been a great eight months so far and I’ve come to be part of a great book community. I’d say that has to be my top fave, along with reading so many diverse books of course, because I’ve met others just as obsessed with books as myself lol. I get to share my thoughts about books and everything related, speak my mind, read others thoughts on those books, and knowing that I’ll stumble upon a possible new book love I might not have if it wasn’t for the book blogging life.
9) There are a ton of TV and film adaptations of books coming out recently. Are there any that you’re looking forward to or ones in the past that you absolutely love?
It’s been a year full of TV and films based on books and I’m loving all of it. I’ve recently watched Everything, Everything (Nicola Yoon), The Dinner (Herman Koch), and Before I Fall (Lauren Oliver). I’ve been watching Zoo (James Patterson) on CBS, and though I’ve enjoyed the first two seasons more, the third season is turning out to be pretty good also. A few that I’m really looking forward to are: Annihilation (Jeff Vandermeer), Wonder (R.J. Palacio), and Cormoran Strike (J.K. Rowling/Roberth Galbraith) to air on BBC either the end of this year or beginning of next year.
10) What is one song or album that you love and feel really represents you?
This is definitely not an easy one to pick as I can relate to a few on some albums, but not always with the entirety of it. So if I go by that, one song (even that is hard to pick lol) would have to be Quarter Past Four by Avriel & The Sequoias. It’s such a beautiful song and I loved it the minute I heard it, I can’t seem to get enough of it. It’s something that feels so me and I love the chorus even more because that’s how I feel daily, life can be overwhelming but I try to always remember the good that makes it alright.
11) Not really a question, but share a book quote that you love!
I shared this recently on Twitter and it’s one of my most favorite book quotes to share…
“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.” – Roald Dahl, The Minpins
I’ve only nominated a few, as I’m not subscribed to many bloggers yet who are just beginning/have a small number followers. I’ve also including bloggers who have had a blog for awhile, but have not yet been nominated for this award.
Michelle @ FirstBookLove
Des @ Des’ Random Thoughts
Regina @ Bookish In Bed
Lilly @ Lair of Books
Sammi @ One Bookish Girl
Ami-May @ Shyla’s Uncensored Opinions
Morgan @ Bibliobakes
1) The moment you knew you were a book nerd (not so much a question but I’d say it counts lol).
2) What book scene made you say WHAT DID I JUST READ?
3) If you’re life were a genre, which would it be?
4) Do you believe in magic?
5) Which book cover has been your favorite?
6) If you could pick one author to narrate the rest of your life, who would it be?
7) You can only pick one book to be made into a movie (every detail included), which would you choose?
8) Which song fits best with the book you’re reading right now?
9) To read a book with a cliffhanger or a book with a love triangle?
10) What book surprised you the most?
11) You can only pick one… to have a never-ending library or be transported into your favorite book world for one week?
Had tons of fun answering these questions, loved all of them. If you’re a new blogger who hasn’t been nominated yet and would love to answer my questions, feel free to tag yourself as well. Let me know if you do, I’d love to check out your post. Happy reading!